Well, we’re screwed, if you’ll pardon the expression.
Our demolition contractor informed me that we need an asbestos inspection. It was a bit of a surprise, but I told myself that although expensive, it’s not the end of the world. Because we don’t have any asbestos anyway. The very, very bad part is this – He just told me this weekend. The demo is scheduled for May 21. The inspection has at least a 24 day turnaround. And then it has to be submitted to the EPA 10 days before demolition. Even if they were performing the inspection right now, that would put us at June 8th.
And I am very, very angry. As I see it, I have three choices.
1. Pay extra to expedite, which doesn’t really buy us much more time.
2. Wait it out, push our plans back, and hope they don’t find anything.
3. Do the demo myself. If you do it yourself, no inspection required.
I am seriously considering tearing it down on my own. I’ve spoken to the three neighbors, and they also think it’s the best course of action. And they offered to let me plug in and run a long hose from their spigots to the RV. I could dump the waste tank into my own septic. Just get up there and start taking the house down bit by bit, hire a few guys and save the $10,000 demolition fee. This would also put an end to our money worries.
What else can I do? Even if we push our plans back, this all cannot possibly be done before the date we give up this apartment. All because the contractor didn’t think to mention this earlier. Even when he had the dates two months ago. I like this guy a lot, and he is the best in the area, but I think he may have just cost himself $10,000.
And by the way, the ten day window for the electric company to take the service drop and meter off the house was up 11 days ago. And they have done nothing. “Someone will call you by the end of the week.”
Yeah, I bet.